Last Updated: May 7, 2018
Travel Alberta is an Alberta, Canada Crown (government) corporation established to promote and market tourism in the Province of Alberta, both within Canada and in select international markets.
Travel Alberta publishes and maintains its websites to help a variety of audiences worldwide locate and retrieve official Alberta travel information. Travel Alberta is committed to providing our website visitors with the information they are seeking in a manner that respects their privacy. This page summarizes how Travel Alberta manages its websites and uses personal information of users of its websites.
- The data controller is Travel Alberta, a Canada Crown corporation, with its head office at 400-1601 9 Avenue SE, Calgary, Alberta, T2G 0H4, CANADA.
- Travel Alberta manages its websites in accordance with EU data protection law and in particular with Regulation No. 2016/679 of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data ("GDPR").
- Please note that the scope and notion of personal data may vary according to applicable legislation.
- Article 6.1(a) of the GDPR provides the legal basis for the processing of users' data (that is, by using this website users are providing their consent). The legal basis for the processing of data that is automatically collected is article 6.1b(f) of the GDPR (that is, the processing is necessary for legitimate interests pursued by us); the legitimate interests pursued by the controller being the optimization of its websites and of its services.
- Users are informed that their data will be transferred to Travel Alberta in Canada, a Crown Corporation and government entity. No decision has been made by the European Commission on the adequacy of safeguards implemented by Canadian government entities regarding the processing of personal information.
- Users are also informed that as Travel Alberta uses Google Analytics, their data may be transferred to the United States of America. Such transfers are based on the Privacy Shield framework, for which the European Commission has accepted (by its decision 2016/1250 EU of 12 July 2016) that companies in the U.S. be certified according to EU data protection standards to provide an adequate level of data protection. Further information is available on www.privacyshield.gov.
- Users have the right to request access to and rectification or erasure of personal data or restriction of processing concerning them or to object to processing as well as the right to data portability.
- Users have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority.
PERSONAL INFORMATION MANAGEMENT
Travel Alberta websites provide individuals with the opportunity to voluntarily supply limited amounts of personal information (such as name, contact number(s), or postal or e-mail address). Personal information is collected by Travel Alberta if you send an email or complete and submit an online form.
Information that you provide will be used to respond to your questions or supply you with the information or materials that you have requested. Information collected on our online forms will be used only for the purpose specified on each form. Your information will not be disclosed to anyone except appropriately authorized Travel Alberta personnel and contractors who need the information to fulfill your request. Your information will be maintained in a secure systems environment and will be kept only for the length of time necessary to fulfill the purpose for which it was collected. In some cases, information you provide will only be collected and used in non-identifying form.
IMPORTANT NOTICE ABOUT COOKIES
"Cookies" are small amounts of information that are distributed from some websites to your web browser. Cookies are designed to recall information about past browsing activities to enhance the convenience and use of websites. Travel Alberta websites create temporary session-based cookies whenever you visit these sites. However, to personalize your experience on the Travel Alberta websites, including targeting offers and advertisements of interest to you, certain features depend on the ability to automatically issue a "persistent" cookie. Depending on your web browser version and settings, you may be prompted with a question as to whether or not you want to accept a persistent cookie. If you refuse to accept these cookies, you will still have general access to most content and functionality with the Travel Alberta websites, although certain personalized web content may not be available.
When you browse the Travel Alberta websites, read pages, or download information, Travel Alberta will automatically collect a limited amount of information about your visit. This information indicates a person's activity on the site. Information collected during a site visit includes:
- Access date and time;
- Internet domain (for example, "xcompany.com" if a private Internet access account is used) and IP address (an IP address is a number that is automatically assigned to a computer whenever someone is surfing the web);
- Type of browser, operating system and version used to access the Travel Alberta site;
- Files viewed or downloaded;
- Language preference;
- Geographic information;
- Pages visited; and
- Previous website address (if linked to Travel Alberta websites from another website).
We use this information to improve Travel Alberta websites — for example, Travel Alberta learns what type of information is of most interest to visitors and how many visitors Travel Alberta receives. In addition to personalizing your experience on the website, this information is collected, maintained and used as aggregated non-identifying data for academic and market research, and to improving and enhancing the Travel Alberta websites and services offered.
IMPORTANT NOTICE ABOUT INFORMATION SENT VIA THE INTERNET
You should be aware that personal information you provide via the Internet might not be secure until it reaches the Travel Alberta servers. If you are concerned about sending your personal information to Travel Alberta via the Internet, please call Travel Alberta at 1-800-ALBERTA (800-252-3782) toll free in North America. Outside North America dial 1-780-427-4321.
For site security purposes and to ensure that this service remains available to all users, Travel Alberta uses software programs to monitor network traffic to identify unauthorized attempts to upload or change information, or otherwise cause damage.
PRIVACY & LINKS TO OTHER WEBSITES
For more information about any of the policies described above or about the Travel Alberta website in general, please contact us at email@example.com.
View the Government of Alberta's Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy (FOIP) Act.