This website uses cookies so we can give you a better online experience. By using this website or closing this message, you are agreeing to our cookie policy. More information.
  • AU
  • CA
  • CN
  • DE
  • JP
  • KR
  • NL
  • UK
  • US
  • MX

Travel Tips

Here's a bunch of stuff that's good to know before you get here. You'll find everything from packing tips to park entry and wildlife safety. Will your electrical devices work in Alberta? Do you know how to convert miles to kilometres? Read on.

What to Pack

The weather in Alberta can change quickly so it’s best to dress in layers in any season. Warm jackets, boots, scarves, mittens and hats are a must in our winter months. Bring a hat and sunglasses to provide protection from strong sunlight.

Metric System

Canada uses the metric system, which means highway and traffic indicators are in kilometres (km) and kilometres per hour (km/h), gas is sold by the litre and temperature is measured in degrees Celsius (°C).

Time Zone

Alberta is in the Mountain Time Zone (GMT -7 hours).


The electrical current in Canada is 110 volts. Canadian appliances operate on 110 volts (60Hz), which is identical to the U.S. voltage. A universal adaptor is required for overseas electrical devices. Mains wall sockets (or power outlets) and plugs for 110 volts are two parallel flat blades. If those sockets are different from the ones used in your country you will need a socket converter.

Health and Insurance

Alberta’s health-care plan does not cover out-of-province visitors. Clarify your coverage with your personal insurance carrier before entering Alberta as you may wish to obtain additional health insurance.

National Park Entry

Park passes are required for entry into any national park in Canada. You can buy a day pass at a park gate, but if you intend to spend time in any of Canada’s national parks, consider an annual Parks Canada Discovery Pass. With it, you can visit more than 100 national parks, marine conservation areas and historic sites across Canada. Passes are not required for entering our provincial parks or recreation areas.

Wildlife Safety

When you are in our forests and mountains remember you are in bear country. You can also expect to see other large animals such as moose, elk, deer, bighorn sheep and mountain goats. Never attempt to approach, harass or feed any wild animal. When on foot, keep a safe distance at all times – at least 100 m (more than 300 ft). Most animals will avoid you if they can hear you coming, so make lots of noise when hiking. Stay in your vehicle when viewing animals along roadways. Pick up brochures at visitor centres for safety tips.


Cannabis is legal across Canada on October 17, 2018. In Alberta, people 18 years of age and older may smoke or vape cannabis in private homes or on private property. Rules about consumption in public places vary by municipality, so visitors need to check the rules of the places they are visiting. It is illegal to take cannabis across international borders. Travellers are expected to understand and abide by international travel laws. For more information visit the Government of Canada Cannabis and international travel web page