Customs & Immigration

Visitors to Canada will need the appropriate travel documents. Have a look at our rules and guidelines to see what you'll need. Find out what you're allowed to bring into the country. Same rules for Alberta.

Travel Documents

International visitors to Canada must carry a valid passport and, if required, a valid visa. Canada has introduced a new entry requirement, known as an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), for visa-exempt foreign nationals travelling to Canada by air. On March 15, 2016, this new requirement became mandatory. Some travellers will need an eTA before they can board their flight to Canada. For example, if you are a Green Card holder in the USA, you will need an eTA (citizens are exempt) Visit Immigration & Citizenship Canada for more information on travel documents and entry requirements.

Canada Border Services Agency

The Canada Border Services Agency manages Alberta's border with the United States using domestic laws that govern trade and travel. For an overview of what's involved when you enter Alberta, including ports of entry, duty free allowances, summer holiday travel tips, even wait times at border crossings, visit:


Revolvers, pistols, fully automatic firearms, self-defence sprays (e.g. mace, pepper spray) are prohibited entry into Alberta. All firearms (e.g. hunting rifles, shotguns) must be declared. For more information on the Canadian Firearms Program, call 1-800-731-4000

Food, Plant & Animal Inspections

Travellers are required to properly declare any meats, fruits, vegetables, plants, animals and plant or animal products they bring into Alberta.